Friday, March 11, 2011

Podcast, Website & Blog Midterm Critiques

Part 1: Podcast

This past week we had the opportunity to critique two of our classmates websites and blogs. On each of our websites we had the chance to post a podcast that could have been done individually or with a partner concerning different online resources that we thought would be helpful/useful as future classroom teachers. Unfortunately only one of the classmates that I critiqued had posted a podcast so I will only be able to share from this. The first site discussed in their podcast was called Smithsonian Education for Students. This site allows students to search through different subject areas and also view artifacts at the same time. Each topic or area that they search through is centered around a specific museum such the American History Museum. Another cool resource that my classmate discussed is called Altapedia Online. This site gives students access to color maps that outline political and physical boundaries and gives information about that certain country such as religion, traditions, language, culture etc. Teachers can even access homework problems and additional resource links from the site. Lastly the podcast talked about Youtube which I thought was great! It is an obvious resource but I think it is one that is often overlooked and under-appreciated. Youtube gives you access to thousands of videos over anything you can possibly think of. It it not soley intertainment but also provides plenty of educational videos for teachers. Here is a link if you would like to listen to the podcast.

Part 2: Website/Blog

 Looking at my classmates blogs and websites was a really great opportunity for me to view my classmates hard work and progress so far this semester. It was neat to see how other people put together their websites and the different forms of creativity and individuality that were expressed in each. The animotos on one of the my critiques websites were AWESOME! Here is a link to her website. They were very personal and I felt like they gave me a really good look into her life. If I was a student of hers and I checked out her website I would feel like I knew her a little more as a person versus just my teacher. There were also lots of pictures included of friends, family, things that she enjoys doing etc. These things held true for her blog also. After looking through her website I definitely want to take some more time to place a little bit more of myself in my website. The other website and blog I viewed were a great example to me of how to make a very professional website and blog. Their sites were a good mixture of personal and professional. You had the opportunity to get to know them a little better but also got a view of them as an educator. I would like to incorporate this same balance on both my website and blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment